Enzymedica is a proud supporter of the Autism Hope Alliance which embodies hope for families facing the diagnosis of Autism through education, financial support and volunteerism. The Autism Hope Alliance was the first nonprofit foundation for Autism to emerge from the natural foods industry.
Here are a few facts about Autism you might not have known:
- Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the United States.
- Over 3.5 million individuals in the United States have autism.
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism.
- Autism-related costs average $60,000 a year per family.
- 1/3 of individuals with autism also have epilepsy.
- The highest prevalence of autism currently is in New Jersey with every 1 in 45 individuals being diagnosed and 1 in 28 boys.
- Half of children identified with an Autism Spectrum Disorder have average or above-average intelligence.
- In 2014 the Autism CARES Act was passed in Congress giving 1.5 billion dollars of federal funding towards autism for the next 5 years.
- About 25 percent of individuals with autism are nonverbal.
- Dr. Leo Kanner was the first to describe autism in 1943.
- There are five types of autism-spectrum disorders:
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified
- Autism, Asperger Syndrome
- Rett Syndrome
- Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.
- About 1% of the world population has autism.
- Autism is often labeled as a social and communication disorder, although some with the diagnosis may deal with other challenges such as sensory, cognitive and motor issues.
- Autism is a lifelong disorder. It doesn’t go away when you become an adult.
- Many people with autism have key interests that can be utilized by employers in the workplace. (i.e. just because you have a disability doesn’t mean you don’t have abilities)
If you or your family is affected by Autism or know of someone with Autism here are list of organizations that might be able to help:
To read more facts about Autism check out where we got our 15 [68 Things to Know about Autism]