Nature is pretty amazing when you stop and think about it. We can look to nature for answers to just about everything – including a way to help metabolize blood sugar.* That’s where Berberine comes in. This bitter alkaloid that naturally occurs in plants like Goldenseal, Oregon Grape and the Barberry family has long been used to support healthy metabolism of blood sugar already within normal range.* (We’re talking millennia of use in Ayurveda, the traditional health system of India!)
However, Berberine had some shortcomings that made taking the raw form a challenge for some individuals. In its unprocessed state, Berberine can be hard for the body to unlock. And, the amount needed to offer support can sometimes be hard for the GI system to tolerate. That’s like finding a treasure chest but having no way to open it!
But thanks to modern science and extensive research, we can now offer a better way to take Berberine. New ultra-absorption technology delivers Berberine in a phytosome form that keeps your metabolism in balance naturally.* And, this Berberine Phytosome offers 9.6 times better absorption. Basically it holds the key for your body to unlock the goodness inside.* Read on to learn why we’re so excited about Berberine Phytosome, what makes it better – and what benefits it has to offer.*
The Basics of Berberine Phytosome
- We use Berbevis® Phytosome, which offers 9.6x better absorption than standard Berberine extracts.
- Berberine Phytosome supports healthy metabolism of blood sugar already within normal range*
- It offers benefits for normal metabolism and body composition.*
- Naturally occurring plant alkaloids promote healthy cardiovascular and immune system function*
- Phytosome technology unlocks greater potency in a lower dose and smaller capsule.
9 Reasons to Get Excited about New Berberine Phytosome
- Berbevis® Phytosome offers better absorption than standard Berberine extracts.* A human pharmacokinetic study shows Berbevis® improved Berberine bioavailability (AUC) by nearly 10 times on molar basis and with observed dose linearity.
- It’s a giant leap beyond basic Berberine. A phytosome is simply a natural active ingredient (in this case, Berberine) with a phospholipid (simply put, it’s a type of fat molecule). By teaming up, the phospholipid makes the active ingredient more accessible to the body.
- It solves a big problem with Berberine. Think of your body as an exclusive club – the kind where you need to be “on the list” to get inside. Berberine is that person who’s all dressed up and waiting on the other side of the velvet rope. Berberine can get inside, but it’s not a smooth or easy process. The phytosome format ensures Berberine can get inside every time.
- And that delivers a bonus benefit. By making Berberine more bioavailable and absorbable, each one-capsule serving delivers greater potency at a lower dose. That means the capsules are smaller and easier to swallow!
- Plus, it’s more tolerable! Berberine Phytosome also includes grape seed extract, which supports the mucosal lining of the intestines for greater tolerability.* (Bonus: This ingredient is made from a byproducts of other grape products, creating a circular economy and reducing food waste!)
- It’s a metabolism boosting powerhouse! A giant leap beyond ordinary Berberine, Enzymedica’s Berberine Phytosome supports blood sugar metabolism, healthy body composition – and heart, circulatory and immune health.*
- The source is more sustainable than Goldenseal. In the US, one of the best-known sources of Berberine is Goldenseal, but that plant’s wild populations are threatened by overharvesting. The partner we work with uses zero species that are at risk!
- Modern research backs up common wisdom about Berberine. Nature gives us the materials we need to support our health – and science helps us refine those materials using the latest research and technology. This Berberine Phytosome has been studied on humans!
- It’s from Enzymedica! You know that we always scour the planet for the best quality ingredients and formulate products for you based on cutting-edge research. We follow the science, to help make great health easy for everyone!
What Is Berberine?
Berberine is an alkaloid found in plants, like Goldenseal, Barberry, Oregon Grape and Goldthread. Alkaloids are bitter compounds that help plants protect themselves against predators and help them regular their growth. They also offer benefits for humans!*
Berberine is an alkaloid that has long been used as a natural way to support a number of common ailments, especially to boost blood sugar metabolism and promote healthy weight loss.* Modern research now bolsters what common wisdom told us long ago about Berberine.
In Asia, the roots, stems and bark of plants rich in Berberine – including many plants in the Barberry family – have been used for more than 3,000 years. The Berberidaceae family includes about 450 to 500 species that are the main natural source of Berberine.1
Berberine Phytosome uses one such plant, Berberis aristata, sometimes called Indian Barberry. This plant is the official Berberine species used in The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India. 1
In addition to the scientific literature on its ability to healthy metabolism of blood sugar already within normal range, Berberine offers benefits for normal metabolism and body composition.* It also promotes healthy cardiovascular and immune system function*2
However, in its raw extract form, Berberine needs to be consumed in high doses to offer benefits. The problem is raw extracts also offer low tolerability – and they can lead to gastrointestinal side effects. That’s why it was so important to find a way to optimize bioavailability and absorption.
What Makes Berberine Phytosome Better?
Enzymedica's Berberine Phytosome uses ultra absorption phytosome technology. Since Berberine can be difficult for the body to absorb, it is harder to unlock its true benefits. Berbevis® phytosome solves this problem – boosting bioabsorption 9.6 times compared with standard raw extracts. This unlocks greater potency at a lower dose, allowing for a small, easy-to-swallow capsule.
We use Berbevis® Berberine Phytosome, made from the roots of Berberis aristata. It is standardized to contain between 28% and 34% of Berberine.
Where other Berberine products may fall short, Enzymedica’s Berberine is formulated to deliver results! A matrix of ingredients support bioavailability while resolving the issues that raw extracts have. Here is what’s inside Berberine Phytosome:
- Berberis aristata offers greater solubility than raw Berberine extracts.* Even in its raw form, Berberis aristata is 2.5 times more soluble than pure Berberine. Once it is converted to a phytosome, that rises to 6 times. But there’s more!
- Pea protein is also included, as a carrier that supports absorption.* In studies, these vegetable proteins can help optimize Berberine absorption – both better intestinal absorption and plasma exposure were reported.3
- Also included is grape seed extract, which supports the intestinal lining for greater tolerability.* Grape seeds are the part of the plant that have the highest concentration of polyphenols, meaning that they have potent antioxidant activity.*3
- The result is a Berberine formula that helps keep your metabolism in balance, naturally.*
A human pharmacokinetic study shows Berbevis® improved Berberine bioavailability (AUC) by nearly 10 times on molar basis and with observed dose linearity.
There are numerous research studies that support Berberine's use as a dietary supplement. In a series of two double-blind studies, Berberine was found to be influential for healthy weight management.*4, 5
How do you take Berberine Phytosome? The recommended use is 1 capsule with meals, twice a day. Consult with physician prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing, taking medications or have a medical condition. Caution: This product is not intended for individuals with impaired glucose metabolism such as prediabetes or diabetes.
Each capsule contains 275 mg Berbevis® Berberine Phytosome from the roots of Berberis aristata standardized to contain 28–34% of Berberine. Other ingredients are rice hulls, rice bran extract, 100% vegetarian capsule (cellulose, water).
Why Trust Enzymedica’s Berberine Phytosome
Since 1998, we’ve been on a mission to make great health easy for everyone. We ensure every Enzymedica Product is clean, sustainable and effective for you and your family. We scour the globe to source only the purest natural ingredients and keep all the artificial junk out. Every batch is carefully tested for purity – you can rest assured that what is on the label is always what is in the bottle. We believe that the planet's wellbeing is as important as our own. We believe ecological balance is both good business and a way of life. And we independently verify that all our products meet our stringent standards.
Our products do not contain milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soybeans, sesame and artificial colors and flavors. And no fillers!
- Chander, Vikas, et al. "A review on Pharmacological potential of Berberine; an active component of Himalayan Berberis aristata." J Phytopharmacol 6.1 (2017): 53-58.
- Feng, Xiaojun, et al. "Berberine in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases: from mechanisms to therapeutics." Theranostics 9.7 (2019): 1923.
- Ma, Bing-Liang, et al. "Naturally occurring proteinaceous nanoparticles in Coptidis Rhizoma extract act as concentration-dependent carriers that facilitate berberine absorption." Scientific reports 6.1 (2016): 1-11.
- Yang, J., Yin, J., Gao, H., Xu, L., Wang, Y., and Li, M. Berberine improves insulin sensitivity by inhibiting fat store and adjusting adipokines profile in human preadipocytes and metabolic syndrome patients. Evid. Based Complement. Altern. Med. 2012; 2012: 363845.
- Perez-Rubio, K.G., Gonzalez-Ortiz, M., Martinez-Abundis, E., Robles-Cervantes, J.A., and Espinel-Bermudez, M.C. Effect of Berberine administration on metabolic syndrome, insulin sensitivity, and insulin secretion. Metab. Syndr. Relat. Disord. 2013; 11: 366–369.