1. Sack the Sugar. We all know sugar is bad for us, but did you know that gas causing bad bacteria and yeast feed on refined sugars which can exacerbate bloating? It’s time to ditch the sweet stuff!
2. Go Pro. Probiotics are good bacteria that keep your gut healthy and happy. Eat fermented foods like kimchi, yogurt, kombucha, kefir and sauerkraut or or take a probiotic supplement
3. Feed your Bacteria. Just like us, probiotics need food to thrive. That’s where prebiotics come in - they are non-digestible carbohydrates that act as food for probiotics and are found in plant based foods like bananas, onions, garlic, asparagus and artichokes. Definitely add these to your diet, but considering they are high in fiber do it gradually and drink a lot of water to avoid digestive upset.
4. Chew on This. Food intolerance is often a result of your body’s inability to digest a food efficiently. Give it a little help with a digestive enzyme like Enzymedica’s Digest Gold (or Digest Gold +PROBIOTICS) which helps you to digest macronutrients like carbohydrates, proteins and fats more easily and may soothe abdominal discomfort and promote GI regularity and nutrient absorption.*
5. Indigestion 101. Enzymes in the digestive system play a vital role in your overall health. They ensure proper breakdown, absorption and utilization of nutrients from food you eat. A deficiency in the natural production of digestive enzymes may be an underlying cause of your gastrointestinal complaints, including occasional heartburn and acid discomfort. Removing intolerant foods from your diet and adding Enzymedica’s Acid Soothe may provide support for occasional indigestion.*
Bloat Busters: Katie Cavuto, RD’s top 5 tips for beating the bloat